On September 19, 2022, the vast majority of SAY Sí employees asked the SAY Sí board leadership to recognize their right to unionize. On October 3rd, the board formally responded, stating that while they respect the staff's right to form a union, they will not recognize all members originally included in the proposed unit, including studio directors Stevan, Gisha, Ashley, Amalia and Anahí from admin.
This led the staff into a NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) pre-election hearing, where both the staff and the board (who chose to get legal representation by Ogletree Deakins) presented evidence in their assessments of who deserves to be in the union. As of right now, the staff patiently awaits for the final decision to be made for their case, which will likely not occur until January 2023. After a decision is made, a union election will be held.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?!
- Sign up for our newsletter and be notified whenever there's an opportunity to help!
- Reach out to Jason Moran (SAY Sí Board President).
- Reach out to Jon Hinojosa (SAY Sí President and Director of Innovation).
- Reach out to your local city representatives! Getting more public support helps apply pressure to our board that hasn't seemed to budge in their decision to not voluntarily recognize our full union.
- Let people know what's happening! Telling your friends and family could help the union gain more suppport.